Tuesday, January 5, 2016

All-In-2016: Curried Rice Bowl (Vegan)

After a moderately thorough Google search copyright laws, I decided that I probably won't go to jail if I post recipes on my blog.  I was concerned because my vegan recipes are almost always courtesy of Happy Herbivore's Meal Mentor: a paid subscription service that doles out a week's worth of recipes at a time for $7.00/week (or you can buy a year subscription at a discount, which is what I did).  But, apparently ingredients and instructions are not subject to copyright law (though I tend to slightly modify both anyway).

SO!  Long explanation aside, here's what I ate for lunch yesterday, The Curried Rice Bowl:



Software:
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder (or less to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp tumeric (adds the yellow tinge typical to Indian cuisine)
2 tsp tomato sauce (I just swiped some from a jar of spaghetti sauce)
1 c frozen stir-fry vegetables (thawed)
3/4 c canned chickpeas
1/2 bag baby spinach
2 tbsp roasted cashews

Code:
  1. Add rice, broth, and all spices to a medium saucepan
  2. Cover and boil, reducing heat to low and simmering for 30-40 minutes (or until rice is cooked)
  3. While rice is cooking, in a separate pan, pour a thin layer of broth, and add baby spinach, heat to medium and cook as desired (I let mine wilt a lot but not so much that it turned to mush)
  4. After rice finishes, add the tomato sauce and stir in the thawed stir-fry veggies and chickpeas
  5. Layer the spinach on the bottom of the plate, scoop rice/vegetable mix on top
  6. Sprinkle with crushed cashews.
This serves two, but you can make a batch and store it for up to a week in the fridge.



No comments:

Post a Comment